Monday, January 18, 2010

Aristotle in the News


In the news, what is still a big issue is the crisis over in Haiti. Last week Haiti was hit by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake with after shocks of 5.7-5.9 in magnitude. This was the biggest quake that the country has seen in 200 years. It has resulted in a massive deaths, people without food, water, shelter...the basic nessecities needed to live.


On yahoo news, there is an article: More Troops, aid go to Haiti, but Hunger Persists. The main points of this article are the fact that even though this quake happened last week, there are still people who can not even get a cup of water. There are many countries pledging to give millions of dollars to this devastated country, including the USA pledging $100 million. But with all the help that is coming in, there are fears that the aid will not get to everyone or that it simply wouldn't be enough. There are people who are taking shelter in collapsed buildings and others who are now out looting.


I think that giving what we've discussed about Aristotle, he would agree with people going out of their way to try and help others. You have people who don't have to help out these people but they are doing it. They are giving them what they need in order for the survivors can continue to live, so they can eventually live better. Money is being given to help buy food and fix shelters and rebuild the country. It not about that money being used for the purpose of making more money, but to get the basic necessities to sustain life right now in that country.


I also found it interestin that with all the charities being setup for Haiti, recording artist, Wyclef Jean's, Yele, charity foundation has come under fire saying that he is taking money from the foundation for his own use. In a sense that could be a form of usury because it was said that the money taken illegally from the foundation was used to pay him on top of what he already gets. Wyclef claims that it is not true, but you never know. In a time of tragedy, you will always have a group that wants to honestly do good to help and others who looks at as a monetary opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting point about the relief effort in Haiti. I too did my blog about the relief in Haiti and have read many others from our class as well. This is a different idea though. Many countries and corporations are saying they will help and donating money and supplies, but who will be the people to make the action to help and not just donate. The people of Haiti need help right now. Donating money is very generous and can be helpful, but who will the the ones to help distribute the money and see that it actually makes a difference for the people of Haiti. I'm not sure if this is where you where going with your blog, but it struck me and got me thinking about the action that needs to take place in Haiti at a time like this. I have seen on the news people packed with supplies on their way to help those in Haiti, but is it enough. The brave people who actually have the will to go to Haiti and help the distressed people first hand, those are the people that I salute. At this time of need, I only wish that I could help those in Haiti with my own physical efforts. While it is not possible for me right now, I am very proud of those able to help not just by donating their money eventhough that is extremely beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is commendable for the government, corporations, and celebrities to step up and step in during a time of crisis. Though, I do not believe every case we hear about concerning donations being made are for the right reasons. I feel as though big corporations may not be donating money because it is the right thing to do; but more so as a non-traditional advertisement or commercial. What I mean by that is corporations may be doing things like creating Haitian relief funds i order to appear like a humaniatarian company that shares similar values of regular consumers in order to attract more business their way. I commented on Tatiane's post with similar concerns.

    I realize your blog was not entirely about this subject, but I feel my comment ties in with what you're talking about. Also, the section about Wyclef Jean's alleged actions are pitiful and somewhat parallel what I was saying earlier about the corporate donations. People may not be about all they appear they are about. The same goes for our corporations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you and your thoughts on this subject. I too wrote on the devastation of Haiti. After reading, seeing, and even pledging money myself, I can only wonder what are they doing with all of the money as a whole, not just wyclef's foundation, but red cross and the countless others that are donating as well. Of course it is easy to donate money, but aristotle also says to donate your service as well. I often find people saying that they give monetary help, but what does that monetary donation help when people are to weak to walk to get the things that they need. Shouldn't or wouldn't it be more virtuous to actually donate your time and physical services to the people that are in need. I also wonder that if Haiti is such a disaster how is this money going to help, when everything there is in ruins? I also wonder with the world knowing the circumstances in Haiti why are they expected to pay for things when the world knows that everything that they had had gotten destroyed, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. Why can't people just give them what they need for right now in order to get their lives back in order without expecting monetary payment?

    ReplyDelete